COVID-19 has been calling attention to health concerns on a global scale. This near-instant increase of affected cases has the World Health Organisation (WHO) determined COVID-19 a.k.a coronavirus to be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. The continuous streams of news reporting can make us feel out of control and take a toll on our mental health with stress, fear, and uncertainty. It’s frightening time amid worldwide pandemic but you’re not powerless. There are some tips that you can practice at home to manage your wellbeing during such times.
1. STAY INFORMED – not rumours and misinformation
- Seek information only from a trusted source such as WHO and local health authorities (Malaysia)
- Minimise times you check for updates from news about COVID-19. Step away from media if you begin to feel overwhelmed.
- Do your best to verify information from trusted sources before spreading it.
2. STAY CONNECTED
- Humans are social animals. Being single at times of social distancing or isolating can bring up unexpected fears and loneliness. It is important to stay connected and check in with the people in your community.
- Make it a priority to stay in touch with friends and family, give them a call to make sure if they’re alright or reach out to them when you need some support.
- Try not to let coronavirus dominate every conversation and take breaks from stressful thoughts.
- Working together as one community can help in addressing COVID-19.
3. CHECK YOUR THOUGHTS
- We often got carried away from the negative news with the increasing numbers of cases leading to deaths and focusing on unpredictable circumstances that are beyond our control.
- Instead, try to reframe your thoughts and focus on things you can control. Eg: washing your hands frequently, social distancing, getting enough of sleep and nutrition to help support your immune system.
- Writing down specific worries that disrupt your thought and make a list of possible solutions can help in shifting your mindset.
- Another thing you can do to help you and your community is to amplify positive and helpful stories of local people who have experienced COVID-19.
- Emotions are contagious, avoid talking with people that ramp up your fears about the virus and shift your attention to the things that you can control.
4. GET ACTIVE
- Physical activity helps improve your mood by producing endorphins or stress-relieving hormones.
- If you’re stuck at home, why not set some time to exercise? Get up and get active!
- Even a brief 10-minute workout can help to boost your mood.
- Check out exercise videos or live workouts you can follow online.
- While gym and group classes are out, they are providing online sessions that you can follow.
- Recommended live workouts: @lululemonmy @epiquefitness @mysculptclub
5. MAKE TIME FOR SELF-CARE
- At such time, you simply need to treat yourself and love yourself right about.
- Create a daily self-care routine that makes you feel good and keep yourself busy.
- Whether it’s reading, journaling, movies or listening to your favourite music and podcast.
- Tranquility Spa suggests some relaxation techniques such as giving yourself a soothing massage can help to alleviate stress, relax your muscles and boost your energy.
- Apply pressure to your scalp, near your temples, neck and shoulder with the bottom of your palms, hold a few seconds and release.
- If you have a tennis ball or a roller pin, you can roll it under your feet and calves to relieve tension.
- Filling your room with scent or aroma can help in alleviating stress. To amp up its effect, combining with other stress relievers like massage or meditation.
- Diffusing or applying essential oil such as Lavender oil, Bergamot oil, Lemongrass oil may help in calming and reducing excessive worrying.
Lastly, deepest appreciation to all the frontlines and essential workers out there. Let us stand united and give full support to all the effort in combating this worldwide pandemic issue.
Tranquility Spa & Wellness Locations.
Putrajaya Marriott Hotel
- TRANQUILITY SPA LOWER GROUND LEVEL, PUTRAJAYA MARRIOTT HOTEL,
- IOI RESORT CITY 62502 SEPANG UTARA MALAYSIA.
- Tel: +603-8949 8888 | +60123793945
- Ext: 1998 OR 1996